MEMOIRS OF SCHOOL STREET VILLAGE

Thanks so much for the great response to this blog!
A special thank you to those who have passed it on to others. We are heading quickly to amazing page visits to this blog! Welcome to folks from all over the country and other countries as well, including Lisbon!!

The "Village", as it was called, is located in the northwest corner of the city of Taunton, Massachusetts U.S.A. It covers about 1 square mile with the center being School Street. A large portion of the Village population was Portuguese when I was growing up.

This blog covers a lot of the history of the Village, much to do with my years as a child there: 1940 through the late 1950's. I do have many wonderful photos and information prior to that that and will share those as well. Always looking for MORE PHOTOS AND MORE STORIES TO TELL.

If you would like to send photos or share a memory of growing up in the Village
e-mail me at spinoart@comcast.net
feel free to comment on the posts. Directions are on the right side of the blog posts. Jump in, the water is fine and it is easy!!!


I will be posting photographs but not identifying individuals unless I have permission or they are a matter of public record. It you wish to give me permission, please let me know.

I am looking for any and all photos of the Village...

Please note: the way blogs work is that the latest post is first. It you would like to start from the beginning of the blog, check out the post labels on the right of the blog and go from there. Thanks.


Friday, September 21, 2012

FULLER SCHOOL CLASS PHOTO:1919

                                             1919 School Picture at Fuller School
                       let us know if you recognize anyone. Third in front row is Margaret Rico Luz


Welcome to the birth of this blog celebrating the history of growing up in the School Street Village in Taunton, Massachusetts.  This is the first, I hope, of many blog posts sharing our memories, reliving them and letting them refresh us as we travel life's journey.  As some of you know, for the last two years I have been writing Memoirs of  School Street Village.  It is in the final writing and drafring stages.  My personal "editor" is proofing them.  When finished it will be available in digital form, that is I will share the files with anyone who wishes it.  I hope that the work and wonderful photos collected for my Memoir can be shared
with many others on this blog and
that it will elicit more photos from readers.

Please comment and share this site with others.
Note that anyone can comment on this blog, you do not need to be registered
or a Google member.  

4 comments:

  1. "Fuller School, Fuller School
    How our hearts filled with pride at that name"

    ReplyDelete
  2. First row: far left is Gay Veira,local piano My Mqteacher in the neighborhood for many years.Second row:second from the right is Rose Medeiros Alvarnaz, Paul's mother.Third row: far left is Dr. Anthony Elias,popular local doctor.He lived in the block and then across the street at the three decker next to Sassie's shop.The boy next to Dr.Elias is my father Joseph Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad, Joseph Rose,was a very smart man who loved school;yet he had to repeat two grades because of an outbreak of psoriasis.Doctors knew in1919 that it wasn't catchy.Immigrant parents just didn' t fight for their children's rights probably because of the language barrier. He loved Cohannet School but never graduated because he had to go to work.I was always fascinated that I had many of the same teachers at Cohannet that he had.They were quite elderly. My brothers and I inherited a love of American history from him.He told me he would go to the library to get books on the Cival War and interview the old Irish Cival War Veterans that lived on Benefit Street.I always found that fascinating.I wish I could have been a fly on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell us more about the Civil War Veterans on Benefit St...fitting for today's holiday.
    I was just watching David McCullough last evening saying that we are raising children today who are "historically illiterate"...your comment shows how different it was once upon a time when education was so valued and there was more intellectual curiosity.

    ReplyDelete